Individual Notes

Note for:   Maria Gichard,   Chr. 1 JAN 1812 - ABT 1892         Index

     Date:   1 JAN 1812
     Place:   St Austell, Cornwall, England

Individual Note:
     Name and Christening Details from IGI Individual Record

Latter Day Saints IGI Individual Record shows Maria Gichard, Christening Date: 1/1/1812, St Austell, Cornwall, England, Parents: William Michael Gichard and Elizabeth, Batch No: P016511, Dates: 1696 - 1875, Source Call No: 0246827-0246831, Type: Film, Printout Call No: 1235403, Type: Film, Sheet: 00

1841 English Census shows Maria Gichard, Aged: 25, Living with William Gichard aged 35, Parish: St Austell, Place: Charles Town, unsure if correct one?

*Free Births, Marriages and Deaths shows Marriage Registered: March 1845, District: Stoke Damerel, John Vane? Merifield and Maria Gichard, Volume: 9, Page: 480*

1851 English Census shows Maria Merifield, Wife, 39, Cornwall, St Austell, Address: Blowing House Hill

*Free Births, Marriages and Deaths shows Death Registered, March 1892, District: Sunderland, Maria Merifield, Aged: 80, Volume: 10a, Page: 395*

Individual Notes

Note for:   Michael Gichard,   Chr. 29 JUL 1813 -          Index

     Date:   29 JUL 1813
     Place:   St Austell, Cornwall, England

Individual Note:
     Name and Christening Details from IGI Individual Record

Latter Day Saints IGI Individual Record shows Michael Gichard, Christening Date: 29/7/1813, St Austell, Cornwall, England, Parents: William Michael Gichard and Elizabeth, Batch No: P016511, Dates: 1696 - 1875, Source Call No: 0246827-0246831, Type: Film, Printout Call No: 1235403, Type: Film, Sheet: 00

1841 English Census shows Michael Gichard, Aged: 25, Ind?, Parish: St Austell, Place: Trenarren

Individual Notes

Note for:   Joseph Gichard,   Chr. 17 MAR 1819 -          Index

     Date:   17 MAR 1819
     Place:   St Austell, Cornwall, England

Individual Note:
     Name and Christening Details from IGI Individual Record

Was a Seaman from J Whitford

Latter Day Saints IGI Individual Record shows Joseph Gichard, Christening Date: 17/3/1819, St Austell, Cornwall, England, Parents: William Gichard and Elizabeth, Batch No: P016511, Dates: 1696 - 1875, Source Call No: 0246827-0246831, Type: Film, Printout Call No: 1235403, Type: Film, Sheet: 00

1841 English Census shows Joseph Gichard, 20, Mariner, In Country, Charlestown Port

1851 English Census shows Joseph Gichard, Son, Unmarried, 31, Mariner, St Austell Cornwall, Charlestown

1871 English Census shows Joseph Gichard, Head, Married, 52, Seaman Pensioner, St. Austell Cornwall, Address: 4 Macey Street

Individual Notes

Note for:   George Best,   16 JUN 1856 - 23 AUG 1876         Index

Individual Note:
     Name from 1871 English Census

Date of Birth and Place and Date of Death and Place from and records submitted to Latter Day Saints IGI

*Free English Births, Marriages and Deaths Records show Birth Registered: September 1856, George Best, District: St Austell, Volume: 5c, Page: unable to read*

1871 English Census shows George Best, Relationship: Son, Unmarried, Aged: 14, Occ: Labourer, Birthplace: St Blazey, Cornwall, Location: Fore Street

Individual Notes

Note for:   Charles Kelly,   ABT 1829 - 21 APR 1885         Index

     Date:   25 APR 1885
     Place:   Old Roman Catholic Cemetery, Wanganui

Individual Note:
     Occ: Solider and Name from Marriage Certificate of John Richard Shout and Agnes Mary McGovern nee Kelly

Date of Death and Place from Wanganui BMD Fiche

New Zealand Medals
Stamp on front page, page 123 shows
Treasury 8725
Regd 2 May 70 (1870)
Rank: Nothing listed, Name: Charles Kelly, Regt. & Rank at the period Medal was earned: 669 Private, Record of Service in the field on which the claim is founded taking action: Active Service, 1863 - 65

Wellington Crown Lawn Grants Index shows Charles Kelly, Place: Wanganui, Section: 309, Book: 14 2 E, Page: 223, Archives Reference: Agency: ABWN, Series: 8090, Accession: W5274, Item: 464 R.14.E, Reference: Crown Grants 1863-1864, Filed at Archives NZ, Wellington

Letter located at Archives New Zealand, Wellington re appointing Charles Kelly Pound Keeper at Wanganui in 1868
Town Board Office Wanganui
To J Johnson Esq
Provincial Secretary
I have the honor to inform you that the temporary arrangement by which I took charge of the Public Pound at Wanganui, till such time as the Town Board could find a suitable person to fill the office of Pound Keeper has expired, and that Charles Kelly of Wanganui Labourer has been appointed by the Board. Requesting that you will have the goodness to insert the necessary notice of the new Pound Keeper's appointment in the Provincial Government Gazette, I have the honor to remain, Sir,
Your obedient Servant
William Hills, Chairman Wanganui Town Board
Notes on the turned over corner of the letter state
Appt Gazetted 25/9/68 (this must be of course be 1868)
Will Mr Knowles place? to all a letter of appointment? giving the Pound Keeper the power of taking New Fees.
W T Nosleaulie?, ?, Sept 28

1873 - 1874 Wanganui Electoral Roll shows Charles Kelly, Wanganui, Freehold, Campbell St, House and Section, Wanganui

The Wanganui Herald 22nd April 1885
A Dead Body Found In The River
At an early hour this morning one of Mr Jensen's boys, while swimming his dog in the river, on the bank, in a line with his of the water. Calling to a man named Wood, father's door saw a pair of boots sticking out he said "look here, here's a man's legs sticking out of the water." (This is how it is typed in the newspaper article) Mr Wood made all haste to see what was the matter, and on reaching the spot, found as the lad had said, a man's legs standing out of the water. He lost no time in getting down the embankment, and pulling out the body which was recognised as once of that of Charles Kelly, a well-known residence in this town. Mr Wood says that the body was then quite stiff, so stiff that by taking hold of one foot, the body could be easily be turned over. By the appearance of the boots it was evident that, although the water was not over them when the body was found, they had been covered. The body was conveyed to the Ship Hotel, and Dr Connolly sent for. On arrival Dr Connolly pronounced it as his opinion that the body had not been very long in the water, and that it was hardly cold. However, nothing could be done to restore life, with any hope of success. Deceased arrived by train last night at ten o'clock from the country, and was seen on the platform by several persons, who state that he was then quite sober. On leaving the station he proceeded to the Ship Hotel. Mr Jensen says that he had there only one glass of beer, and then he left. He went out by the front door, and Mr Jensen believes went in the direction of the Railway Station. It is thought that he was then going to see the steamer go out, but as far as we can learn he was not seen on the wharf when the Huia left last night. How he could have arrived at the spot he was found is a mystery at present. The probability is that he went through the railway fence and, the night been rather dark, strayed over to the bank, where he has taken the fatal step, and been unable to recover himself. Mr Kelly was an old Artilleryman, having arrived here many years back with the Imperial forces. With many others of his calling he accepted the opportunity of settling in the colony, and has made Wanganui his home ever since the departure of the troops. He has been in that interval occupied in many capacities, and at one time he, in conjunction with Mrs Kelly, had charge of the Wanganui Hospital. Deceased was a prominent member of the Roman Catholic congregation of this town, and was also intimately connected with the Hibernian Lodge. He leaves a wife and a grown up family of one son and three daughters (married) to mourn their loss. Since the above was in type, we have seen the body of the deceased, and have visited the spot where it was found. There are several marks of violence on the face, there being two especially deep cuts, one just in the centre of the forehead, and the other close under the left temple. There is a large contusion under the left ear, and it is said that there is a large cut near the right temple, but from the position in which the body was laid out this was not visible. The causes of these marks are rather difficult at present to ascertain, and the police are busy making all possible investigation into the matter. It was noticed this morning that clots of blood were visible on the steps at the end of the wharf, nearest where the body was found. Whether these blood marks have anything to do with the matter is not of course known. It is surmised by some that the deceased may have had occasion to go to the river to wash himself and then have stumbled into the river. These wounds, however, could hardly have been received in that way, and there is a great deal of mystery yet attached to the matter. We learn that deceased was in the I Battery of Artillery, 4th Brigade. He had been through Crimea, and had a medal. He was present at the fall of Sebastopol.

The Wanganui Herald 23 April 1885
The inquest on the body of Mr Charles Kelly, who was found drowned in the river, was held yesterday afternoon in the Ship Hotel, before the Coroner, C. H. Borlase, Esq. and the following Jury :- R Hartnett, C Reynolds, W. Abrams, A. Rickards, E. Sharp, J. Ogden, F. Catling, C. Patton, L. Brent, D. Simmonds, J. Brown, D. Gunu, W. Barr, and G. Gammond. Mr James Brown was chosen foreman.
After viewing the body the following evidence was taken.
John Cooper, sworn, said - I am a boarding-house keeper. I saw the deceased come in by the 10 o'clock train on Tuesday night. I was on the platform at the time. He was in the carriage, and I saw him get out. I called him by name. He replied, and I saw no more of him. He replied sensibly enough. I saw no signs of liquor, though he might have had some for all I knew. I did not notice which way he went.
J. H. Jensen, sworn, said - I am a publican and knew the deceased very well. I saw him last on the arrival of Tuesday night's train, a few minutes after 10. He came into the bar and asked for a glass of beer. There was nobody with him. He had his beer, and asked me to have one too. I had one with him. He was then quite sober. He did not look as though he had been drinking. He stayed about five minutes, and I had a short conversation with him, asking him how he was getting on. Noticed him leave. He went out by himself, and saw him go up the street. I know the place where his body was found. He did not go in that direction to my knowledge.
By Sergt. Bissett - He had only one glass of beer. I know the body is that of Charles Kelly. I helped bring it here. It was discovered almost opposite - just half way between the wharf and the cattle wharf.
By the Foreman - It might have been about ten minutes past ten when he left. He said he had come from Marton. He did not seem depressed at all; he seemed in very good health and in good spirits. There was no sign of liquor on him.
By the Coroner - There was nothing peculiar in his manner when he came in.
George Woods, sworn, said - I knew the deceased, Kelly. I found the body this morning. I was passing the hotel, and Jensen's boy called my attention to it. He said - "I think there's a man in the river. I saw boots, and I think there were trousers." I ran over, and when I got there I found his feet out about 18 inches, he was on the wall, and was straight up and down. His head was on the wall, in fact, the whole of the body was on the wall. His head did not get to the bottom of the river, because he was hanging on the wall. I pulled him out at once, and there was not the slightest sign of life. As soon as I pulled him out, and made certain there was no life, I went to the police. The wounds on the head were there when I took the body out. He was laying flat on his stomach when I found him. The whole of the body had been under water, but the tide had gone down, and had left 18 inches out of water. The wall is formed of jagged stones. I found no other marks or traces about, to show whether he had walked there. When I pulled him out the blood began to flow from the wounds in the head. I thought it was from shifting the body.
By Foreman - When I found him his feet were below high water mark. I suppose his feet were 18 inches out of the water. I think he did not fall in by the wharf, and float there, but that he fell in just where he was found. I found him about half-past seven, it was nearly low water. His boots, trousers, and socks were wet. He seemed to have a grip of the stones. I pulled the body out by the legs, it pulled out very heavy. I think it would have remained there if the water remained quiet. We found life was gone, and there was no possible chance of reviving him; he was quite stiff.
A juror asked if there was no one who had seen him between 10 last night, and 7.30 the next morning. The police replied that they could find no one else who has seen him.
Patrick Connolly, a duly qualified medical practitioner residing at Wanganui, sworn, said - I knew Charles Kelly, and have this afternoon made a post mortem on his body. I first saw the body this morning about 8 o'clock, having been sent for. The face is covered with cuts, the worst being over the left eye. There is another on the left temple, and scratches on the nose and other places. He hands are also cut, and there is also a knock on his left skin just below the knee. When I examined the body this morning, I could not find any evidence as to whether he was drowned or died before he went in the water. I made a post mortem, and found nothing to account for death. None of the wounds would cause death, and there were none of the symptoms of drowning about the windpipe. The lungs and heart were fairly healthy for a man of his age, but the heart was distended with blood, as is the case with people dying suddenly by suffocation. I examined the head carefully, and no fracture of the skull exists. The deepest of the wounds, that over the eye, merely laid the bone bare, but did not fracture it. The brain was healthy, and there was no falling down of the brain, such as might be caused by a severe blow, and no blood was extravasated on the brain. My opinion is that in falling the blow was sufficient to stun him, and that he was scarcely able to struggle so as to leave traces of drowning. If he had not fallen in the water he would have recovered. That would amount to death from drowning. I went to the place where the body was found, and examined it. I have not heard the position in which the body was found. I was told there was a mark on the rails where he stumbled - if he had stumbled there the fall would have stunned him, and thus be sufficient to cause death. The wounds are such as might be caused by these stones, and there is no wound that would not be accounted for by them. Death was caused by his being drowned through having been first stunned. On examining him this morning, some of the blood I squeezed from him was mixed with air, as though he had breathed through it, but there was no water, and no mark of drowning or struggling that one could swear to without a post mortem.
By the Foreman - All the wounds were clean, with the exception of the one over the left eye, which, on examination, showed that the upper end is clean cut enough, while the under end is rough, as though caused by rock. The blows were not such as would be caused by a blow. If deceased had not fallen in the water, he would not have died from them. If he had fallen from the wharf, he could not have floated to the spot where he was found.
By a Juror - His boots and clothes were wet - he must have been wet all over. If there had been a foot or two of water, the blows would not have been lessened - the blows were all on one side of the head.
By the Sergeant - All the blows are such as might be caused by a man's falling where the body was found. The wounds were caused before death.
Constable Gary, sworn, said - I saw the body first at 7.30 this morning. It was lying on the edge of the breastwork. I assisted in bringing it here. I searched the body and found tobacco, pipe, and 3 shillings and 5 pence's on it.
Some of the jurors were of opinion that some evidence should be called to show that deceased was not served with drink else where, and the barman at the Custom House Hotel was called. He said - I was in the bar there all the evening. I knew Chas. Kelly. Did not see him, nor hear of his having been there.
Dr Connolly was also recalled.
By a juror - I could not say from the post mortem examination what amount of liquor he had had. The stomach was full; he had taken some beer, and there was meat and rice, which he had for tea; this smelt of beer. I could not tell the amount, but he had taken some. Beer was the drink he had taken. I saw no sign of spirits.
The jury then returned the following verdict :- The jury are of opinion that the deceased, Charles Kelly, was suffocated in the Wanganui River on the 21st April, having fallen into the river while stunned by a fall against the stone breastwork.

*Death Details Date: 1885, Folio No: 726, Area: Wanganui, June quarter*

Death Certificate shows Where and When: 21/4/1885, Wanganui, Charles Kelly, Occ: Labourer, Aged: 56 years, Cause of Death: Verdict of Jury "Suffocated in the Wanganui River having fallen into the water when stunned from a fall", Father: Robert Kelly, Occ: Labourer, Mother: Helen Kelly formerly Cole, When and Where Buried: 25/4/1885, Wanganui Cemetery, Name of Minister: David Limmard?(very hard to read), Name of Witness of Burial: Lucas? A. Mill?(very hard to read), Where Born: Ireland, How long in New Zealand: 26 years, Where Married: Ireland, Age Married: 18 years, To Whom Married: Ann Crawford, Issues if Living: 1 Male: 18 years, 3 Females: 33 years, 28 years, 23 years, Informant: Chas. H. Borlase, Coroner, Wanganui

Probate Record shows Charles Kelly, Place: Wanganui, Occ: Labourer, Date of Death: 21/4/1885, Court: Wanganui, Archives Reference: AAOG
W3559 A62, Probate No: A62, Date Filed: 4/12/1885, Type: Will, Archives NZ, Wellington
Will states Charles left everything to Anne Kelly

Headstone at the Old Roman Catholic Cemetery, Wanganui shows
Pray for the souls of Charles Kelly aged 56, Ellen aged 14 years, Mary Jane aged 25 years, William aged 11 years, Robert aged 11 days, Ann Kelly aged 86 years