Individual Notes

Note for:   Mary Ann Whitewood,   21 JAN 1858 - 10 MAY 1936         Index

     Place:   Christ Church, Taita, Lower Hutt

Individual Note:
     Some details from B Bennett nee Pye

Birth Certificate Transcription shows When and Where: 21/1/1858, No Place Listed, Mary Ann Whitewood, Father: William Matson Whitewood, Occ: Licensed Victualler, Mother: Rebecca Whitewood nee Monteith, Informant: W. M. Whitewood, Father, Hutt

Marriage Transcription shows Place of Registration: Hutt No: None Listed, When and Where Married: 24/7/1878, St James' Church, Lower Hutt, Alfred James Seldon Buck, Aged: 25, Occ: Farmer, Bachelor, Mary Ann Whitewood, Aged: 20, Occ: None Listed, Spinster, Witnesses: Isaac Plimmer, Gentleman, Wellington, Laura Welch, Taita, George Green Buck, Settler, Taita, Minister: Thos Fancourt, Denomination: Church of England

*2nd Marriage Details Date: 1912, Folio No: 6406, Names: Henry Alexander Wilmer MacKenzie and Mary Ann Buck*

Probate Record show Mary Ann McKenzie, Place: Lower Hutt, Occ: Widow, Court: Wellington, Archives Reference: AAOM 6029 58635, Probate No: 58635, Date Filed: 4/6/1936, Type: Will, Archives NZ, Wellington

Cemetery Fiche for Christ Church Cemetery, Taita, Lower Hutt shows Record No: 232
Alfred James Seldon Buck died 10 April 1897 aged 47 years
Mary Ann wife of the above died 10 May 1936 aged 76 years

Individual Notes

Note for:   George Green Buck,   1 APR 1818 - 11 OCT 1894         Index

     Date:   14 OCT 1894
     Place:   Christ Church, Taita, Lower Hutt

Individual Note:
     Was a member of the Provincial Council, details from B Bennett nee Pye

George Green and Mary Ann Buck arrived on the "Birman". It departed 13/10/1841 from Gravesend, England and arrived Wellington 1/3/1842,
Names as on Passenger List,
George Green Buck, 23, Smith & Labourer
Mary Ann, 24, Wife
Alexandrina?, 9 months

The New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian 8th February 1845 shows
List of all persons qualified to serve as Jurors for the District of Wellington, for the year 1845,
Buck, George, Thorndon flat, Storekeeper
... continued

George Buck and Robert Jillett were on the committee wanting to secure the return of W. B. Rhodes, Esq., J.P to represent the Wellington Country District in the General Assembly
A meeting was held every evening at seven o'clock at Mr. McKaine's, Halfway House and Mr. Calder's Rainbow Hotel, Barrett's Hotel.
Details from a poster on Timesframes at the National Library. Poster dated Wellington 11/8/1853

New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian 5th October 1853 shows
To Cover this Season
The Important Draught Horse
    Samson is a Dark Bay Horse; stands 16 hands high, with strong muscular power, and is allowed to be one of the best Draught Horses in the Colony.
    Samson will stand during the week as follows:- at Mr. Buck's, Traveller's Rest, Taitai (sic), on Monday; at Mr. Hales', Aglionby Arms, on Tuesday; at Mr. Jenkins', New Zealander Inn, on Wednesday and Saturday; and at Mr. Hammond's Tixall Farm, Porirua Road, on Thursday and Friday.
    For the convenience of Mares, Paddocks will be provided at 3s. per week, but without responsibility.
    Terms - Three Guineas each Mare, payable 1st January, 1854.
    An allowance will be made to the bona fine owners of three or more mares.
Porirua Road, October, 1853

The New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian 2nd April 1864 shows
Friday, April 1
Epiha Ekaroro and George Buck were charged with a breach of the "Traffic on Highway Act;" fined 10 shillings each

The New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian 20th April 1864 shows
Publican's Licenses. — The annual licensing meeting for renewing and granting publican's licenses was held yesterday at the Resident Magistrate's Court, when the following were, granted: — George Buck, "Travellers Best," Taita; Charles Brown, "Royal Hotel," Lambton-quay; Richard Barry, "Ship Hotel," Manners-street; Francis Bradey, jun., "Nelson Hotel," Lambton-quay; John Eades Bannister, Criterion Hotel," Lambton-quay; Stephen Cooper, "Thistle Inn," Mulgrave-street; Thos. H. Clapham, "Queen's Arms," Molesworth-street; Wm. Clapham, "Ngahauranga White Swan," Cuba street; Jane Calder, "The Rainbow," Kai Warawara (sic); Caleb Cull, "Freemason's Tavern," Lambton quay; Geo. Dixon, "Karori Hotel," Karori Road;, George Death, "Coach and Horses," Manners-street; Samuel Stacy Downes, "Crown and Anchor," Lambton-quay; Edwd. J. Ellerm, "Albion Inn," Tory-street; John Greaves, "Sailor's Home," Molesworth-street; W. Jones. "Eagle Tavern," Lambton-quay; Mary A. Kennedy, "Cricketer's Arms," Tory-street; Joseph Lowry, " Nag's Head Inn," Cuba-street; John McIntosh, " South Sea Hotel," Lambton-quay; John McHardie, "Highland Home," Upper Hutt; John McKinnon, "New Zealander," Manners-street; Wm. Miller, "Commercial Hotel," Lambton-quay; J. Minifie, "Queen's Hotel," Boulcott-street; Alfred Perry, "Waterloo Hotel," Kai Warawara (sic); Isaac Plimmer, "Barrett's Hotel," Lambton quay; Mary Ann Rotermund, "Victoria Hotel," Abel Smith-st.; James Thompson, "Aurora Tavern," Lambton-quay; John Valentine, "Forester's Arms," Ghuznee-street; Nathaniel Valentine, "Whitewood's Hotel," Hutt; Alfred Wyse, "Gawith's, Family Hotel," Molesworth street; Wm. E. Wallace, "Wallace's Hotel," Ngahauranga. The following licenses were also granted but were warned by the Bench: — Mary Corbett, "Aglionby Arms," Hutt; G. P. Campion, "Te Aro Hotel," Dixon-street; Thomas Winkley, "Royal Tiger," Taranaki-street. The application of John Martin, "Empire City Hotel," was granted conditionally on his obtaining possession of the premises; the only application refused was that of Samuel Cobham, "Star Tavern," Willis-street, the house having been recently sold under mortgage. The application of Robert Buckridge, "Albion Inn," Taita, was adjourned for a month.

The Evening Post 17th April 1866 shows
Licensing Meeting
This Day
(Before J. C. Crawford, Esq., R.M.; R. Collins, Esq., J.P.; E. Miller, Esq., J.P.; William Dorset, Esq., J.P.; David Lewis, Esq., J.P.; Alfred Ludlam, Esq., J.P.; J. Kelham, Esq., J.P.; W. Fitzherbert, Esq., J.P.; - Stokes, Esq., J.P.)
The applications of the following publicans for the renewal of licenses were then granted:- R. Barry, George Buck, ... continued

The Daily Southern Cross 9th November 1866 shows
Mills V. Buck and Others.
Mr. Hart appeared, for Mr. E. W. Mills., the plaintiff in the action; Mr. Brandon for Messrs. George Buck and James D. Cruickshank, executors of the late Charles Mabey, of the Upper Hutt, farmer; Mr. Borlase for the children of the testator; and Mr. Izard for Messrs. Cleland, judgment creditors. The facts of the case were these — Charles Mabey died in June, 1864, being possessed of real and personal property, and having made a will, dated 2nd August, 1838, which was proved by the executors, bequeathing to his four sons, and daughter his houses and live and dead stock in equal shares; no landed property or stock to be disposed of without consent of executors until the eldest son should be of age. The debts as proved amounted to 1,356 pounds 12 shillings 2 pences, while the personal estate realised and realisable only amounted to 700 pounds. In May, 1865, Messrs. Cleland commenced an action against the executors for 771 pounds; and on the 18th August, 1865, Edward W. Mills, on behalf of himself and other creditors of the deceased who should come in and contribute rateably towards the expenses of the suit, commenced an action against the executors for the sum of 21 pounds 19 shillings 8 pences., in default claiming to have the personal estate administered in the Court. The executors pleaded among other pleas in effect that they had no knowledge of the amount being due; that another action was pending; that the personal estate was insufficient to cover the debts; and that the testator had real estate, but that they were advised that they could not safely execute the trusts without direction of the Court. On the 7th October, 1865, the defendants were ordered to sell the real and personal estate before the 6th of December of the same year, Messrs. Cleland having obtained a verdict on the 8th Sept. previous. On the 8th January, 1866, it was ordered that the executors should pay into Court all sums in their hands belonging to the estate less. legal and other expenses certified by the Registrar, and that the Registrar should report to the Court the amount of debts and the legal priorities affecting them; after which it appeared that the proceeds of real estate paid into Court altogether amounted to 694 pounds 6 shillings 6 pences; that the executors had in hand 100 pounds from the personalty, and that Messrs. Cleland were entitled to priority. Subsequently, however, it was ordered among other things, that they should be paid out of the funds rateably with the other creditors.
The questions for the Court were — Whether the Messrs. Cleland were entitled to any priority over the other creditors; whether the Messrs. Cleland have a, priority which entitles them to exhaust the realty; if so, whether they are entitled as to, the residue of their debt to any payment in priority to other creditors out of the personalty; or whether they are entitled only as to the residue of their debt to take payment thereof with the other creditors out of the personalty; whether they are bound to take payment out of the mixed fund pari passu generally with the other creditors; whether, having been paid a portion of their debt out of the proceeds of the realty, they are entitled to any further payment till the other creditors have been paid out of the personalty.
Mr. Hart was addressing the Court, when the Judges expressed their opinion that it was not shown on the case that there was a deficiency of assets, and that, therefore, the question of priority fell to the ground. The question of costs was deferred, as it was said that by saddling the children with the costs the assets might be made deficient, The Court then adjourned till the 30th, at 11 o'clock.

The Evening Post 9th March 1868 shows
Resident Magistrate's Court.
This Day.
(Before J. C. Crawford, Esq., R.M.,)
John Thompson was brought up, charged with having on the 27th February last stolen some bottles of pale brandy and twenty-one shillings and sixpence from the dwelling house of G. Buck, at the Taita.
Constable Brady sworn, said — I am stationed at the Hutt; from information I went to the Taita to a Maori whare; I saw the prisoner and took him into custody, charging him with breaking into Mr. Buck's; I searched him and found some coppers and silver upon him; some natives present handed me two bottles of brandy and two empty bottles; the bottles produced are thee ones given me.
Komene Paipa deposed to prisoner' coming to the pah about five in the morning with four bottles of brandy and some coppers, ; that two bottles of brandy was drunk among them, and that he had given the coppers produced to Constable Brady. Te Wiremu Patene swore to prisoner, and corroborated the evidence of last witness.
George Buck said — I am a licensed victualler, and live at the Taita; about the 26th of last month prisoner was at my house, about 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon; he was in the dining room; about an hour after I told him I could not accommodate him; he would not leave; he had some brandy, giving me a threepenny bit and a penny saying it was all he had; I returned him the money; he then offered me a coat for sale; about 6 o'clock I saw him in the kitchen; I then told him to leave, and saw him out; he then asked me if I would let him stay till dark; I refused; about 9 o'clock he disappeared; I shut up at about 10, and went to bed about 11; I fastened all the doors and windows; no one came in after me; about 6 o'clock next morning I got up and found the bar door open and missed some bottles of brandy, and my till, with all my change in it; I went to a Maori whare and found the prisoner tied up; the native, in the presence of prisoner, showed me two bottles of brandy, and told me that they had drank two bottles; the bottles produced are similar to the ones I lost. Prisoner in defence said " I have nothing to say," and was committed to take his trial at the sittings of the Supreme Court on the 17th instant.

The Evening Post 17th March 1868 shows
Supreme Court - Adjourned Criminal Sittings
This Day.
(Before His Honor (sic) Mr. Justice Johnston.)
His Honor took his seat on the bench at ten o'clock, when adjourned criminal sittings of the Court were opened with the usual formalities.
John Thompson was placed in the dock charged with having stolen certain goods from the premises of Mr. George Buck, Taita. There were two counts in the indictment.
The prisoner pleaded not guilty.
Mr. Izard stated the case for the prosecution, and called George Buck, who stated that he was a licensed victualler, and resided at the Taita; had seen the prisoner in the dining-room on the 26th February; he wished to stay for the night, but was told he could not be accommodated; in the bar he had a glass of
brandy, for which he put down 4 pences saying that was all the money he had; he was ordered off the premises several times; was seen last by witness in the house at half-past 9; the doors and windows were all fastened; when witness got up at about 6 in the morning found the front door about half open; believed the door had been opened from the inside; it was possible for a person to have been concealed in the bar when he locked up at night; missed several bottles of brandy in the morning, and also the till, which contained a lot of coppers and some small change; went with a native to the pa, and there saw the prisoner; there were some brandy bottles there.
By the prisoner — Could not swear to the bottles; was the first up in the morning: could not swear to the money.
Wiremu Patene, an aboriginal native, interpreted by Mr. Baker, deposed to having seen the prisoner at the pa at about five o'clock in the morning of the 27th February he had with him four bottles of brandy and some copper money, some of which he had given to witness; there were four natives and the prisoner, and they drunk two bottles of brandy; the prisoner was detained by the natives on suspicion of robbery; he gave coppers to other natives.
Komini, another native, corroborated the evidence of the previous witnesses in all material points.
Constable Brady deposed to having gone to the pa at the Taita, where he saw the prisoner lying down with a blanket round him; found in the whare some brandy bottles, and upon searching prisoner found some coppers upon him, and also some small silver coins; there was 31 shillings 6 pences in all.
This closed the case for the prosecution.
The prisoner, in his defence, denied his guilt on the ground of improbability, and the fact that the property had not been identified.
His Honor briefly summed up, and the jury immediately returned a verdict of guilty.
Mr. Warden Read gave the prisoner a very indifferent character, and the police also spoke to several previous convictions.
Sentence — Eight years penal servitude.
... continued

The Evening Post 14th December 1868 shows
Tuesday, 15th December.
Valuable Freehold, Taita, Hutt, together with the "Traveller's Rest."
Mr. J. H. Wallace is instructed by Mr. George Buck to sell by public auction (immediately after the sale of the late Mr. Gillies' station and stock), on Tuesday, 15th December, at his Land Mart, Wellington, at 2 o'clock p.m.,
All the valuable freehold comprising about 7 1/2 acres of the most fertile land in the Hutt, fenced and cultivated, upon which stands
The "Traveller's Rest," one of the best established business houses in the Hutt. In addition to the Hotel there are stables, cowsheds, and outhouses, an excellent garden, well stocked with fruit trees, two good wells of beautiful clear water, and every comfort and convenience for a first-class business. The furniture and effects can be taken, at a valuation at the option of the purchaser
The hay and standing crops can also be taken at a valuation. Possession will be given, about the 25th Jan., 1869.
Terms — One-fourth cash; the remainder can remain on mortgage for a term of years at 10 per cent interest.
For further particulars apply to A. de B. Brandon, Esq., Solicitor, to the auctioneer, Wellington, or to the proprietor, Mr. Buck, Taita, Hutt, at either of which places a plan of the property can be seen

The Evening Post 31st March 1869 shows
A transfer was granted today by the Bench, of the license for the Traveller's Rest Inn, at the Taita, from George Buck to Hercules Burdett

*2nd Marriage Details Date: 1877, Folio No: 872*

Evening Post Friday 23rd February 1877 shows
Appointment of Hutt Park Trustees
A local contemporary is rash enough to contradict our statement that the Hutt Park Trustees were not appointed annually, as supposed by the Wellington Jockey Club, but held office for life. Our contemporary evidently is relying on the old Provincial Ordinance of 1857, the first section of which enacts that:
"The management of the affairs of such public park and race course shall be vested in five trustees to be appointed from among the duly registered electors of the Hutt District by the Superintendent by writing under his hand within one month after the notification in the Government Gazette of the Province of Wellington that such land has been so reserved and in the month of February in every year following"
The writer evidently is ignorant that the trustees do hold office under that Act, and have not for the last eleven years. It was scarcely an act of wisdom on his part thus needlessly to parade his want of knowledge in respect to local legislation. The fact is, nevertheless, that the Hutt Park Trustees do hold office for life under an Act of the Provincial Council, passed in 1866.
An Act to provide for the management of the Hutt Public Park and Race Course.
The first two sections of that Act run as follows:—
The management of the land comprised in the said grant shall be vested in William Fitzherbert, Daniel Riddiford, John Jackson, William Hickson, George Crawford, George Buck, and John Cudby, who shall be trustees thereof; and on the death or absence from the colony for twelve months, or resignation of any trustee, the continuing trustees shall forthwith appoint some other person, being an elector of the said district to be a trustee in the place of such person who may have died or absented himself, or resigned as aforesaid.
The trustees of the said land shall be a body corporate by the name or style of 'The Hutt Park and Race Course Board,' having perpetual succession and a common seal.
"So much for our contemporary's contradiction."

The Evening Post 26th April 1877 shows
To Be Let, for a term of years, that desirable Dairy Farm, formerly the property of Mr. W. M. Whitewood, being section No. 53, Taita, containing 29 acres (more or less), sub-divided into 5 paddocks, fenced and all laid down in English grasses, the pasture being unequalled by any in the Hutt. There is a good seven-roomed house, stable, cowshed, and other out-buildings; also a garden and orchard, well stocked with fruit trees.
For terms apply to George Buck, Taita,
Agent for the Estate.

The Evening Post 20th August 1879 shows
Mr Mason at Taita
Mr Mason addressed the electors of the Hutt last night at the Taita Schoolroom. About 40 were present.
Mr Beetham was voted to the chair. He said the question at present seemed to be, "Sir George Grey or no Sir George Grey" For his own part he considered he ought to have a slap in the face for calling the working men of the colony slaves (Hear, hear) Again, he was scarcely truthful. [An Elector - Oh, hush"] He his done no good; he had simply taught the working men to regard the rich as their enemies. (Hear) They all knew that capital meant labour. [A Voice – "You wasn't very rich when you came here." (Laughter ): It was all nonsense Sir George Grey saying foreign capital was not wanted. Without further preface he would introduce Mr Mason
Mr Mason very briefly addressed, the assembly. The question which had lately occupied the public mind was one affecting the personnel of the Ministry. There were grave and well-deserved charges of mal-administration against the Grey Government, and many personal charges which he strongly deprecated. (Hear, hear) In reference to the Thames railway scandal, he was of opinion that Sir George Grey had acted against the expressed wish of the House. In many of the charges it was clearly shown that he had exceeded his powers. A vote had been passed of 500,000 for County Councils, and of that sum £15,000 should have been devoted to opening up lands in that neighbourhood, on the deferred payment system. It was necessary in order to open up the land so that small holders could take advantage of it, that roads should first be made, and it was the bounden duty of the Government to look after this.
Since the present Government had been in office a larger proportion of money had been spent in the South and North than in Wellington. Had the West Coast railway been gone on with they would be now in a very much better situation. Mr Mason declared himself in favour of triennial Parliaments and of extension of the franchise to residential suffrage. Manhood suffrage he thought objectionable on several grounds. With regard to the redistribution of seats, he was of opinion that the country districts should be more liberally dealt with. As to education, he thought that the state schools should be of the best description. He did not see how religion could be introduced into schools, but whatever was determined on that point be was convinced that the system of education should be such as to render every man as he grew up capable of forming an opinion on, and, if necessary, taking part in the government of the colony. He thought Sir George Grey had made a great mistake in fixing a tax specially on land. (Oh, Oh) It should have included all property. Land was the only security they had to offer for capital (A voice- Why not tax the land sharks?) They should tax all alike. A general property tax would have been preferable, as it would have included a large number of persons who now escaped. He should be happy to answer any questions.
Several questions were asked, the substance of the answers to which was as follows:
He considered the members had robbed the country in taking £210 as honorarium. It was not true that as Chairman of the County Council he had refused to open up a block of land in the Forty Mile Bush. He had simply interfered to stop the land passing into the hands of a small clique in Masterton (Cheers ) He was not aware it was his duty to have seen that the Electoral Roll was properly filled up, or he should have done it.
At this juncture the meeting, which had been pretty dull was enlivened by a cross-fire of speeches from Mr Jack Rush and Mr George Buck, the former being a hot Greyite and the latter a staunch Oppositionist. Mr Rush said it was easy to see why Mr Beetham and others like him were opposed to the land tax. As for Mr. Mason he had turned tail in the hour of their despair and he would not now vote for him. To this Mr Buck replied by accusing Sir George Grey of despotism. [Mr Rush-you've got a good bit of land, eh?] (Laughter) He would do anything for power [Mr Rush- you have no right to talk against Grey.] If it had not been for him the native difficulty would have been done away with long ago. (Hear hear) After going home he came out again and took an island for his home, like Robinson Crusoe (laughter), and tried to set class against class. In his rejoinder to this, Mr Rush caused great laughter by the remark that he "really was talking seriously" when he said he was sorry to see an old settler like Mr Buck reviling his benefactor. The two partisans having subsided, a vote of thanks was accorded to Mr Mason and another to the chairman, and the meeting separated.

The Evening Post 17th September 1879 shows
The Hutt Election
Declaration of The Poll
The official declaration of the result of the Hutt polling was made yesterday afternoon at the Court House Lower Hutt, before about 20 people, by Mr W P James, the Returning Officer, who announced that the number of votes polled was as follows:
Mason 166
Jackson 139
He declared Mr Thomas Mason duly elected to serve in the General Assembly as representative of the Hutt.
Mr Mason, in returning thanks for his election, said he hoped that his conduct in the House would meet with the approval of the electors. He then proceeded to enter into an explanation of the origin of the various rumours which had been circulated concerning himself in connection with the Conservators' Board.
It is not necessary to give the particulars of Mr Mason's defence, as that gentleman's letter on the subject has already appeared in our columns. That parties referred to — Messrs M'llvride, Collett, Buck, and others - were present, and the proceedings lost much of their dignity by the "nagging" which ensued between these gentleman and the successful candidate.
Mr Jackson came forward and said as the apparently defeated candidate he desired to thank his supporters, but he must admit that it was plainly evident their exertions were no match against the wealth, slander, and corrupt practices of the other side. (Cries of "Oh oh!" and loud hissing) They were obliged to succumb at present, but he was determined to make an appeal, and leave it to the high Court of Parliament to decide. Under the circumstances he could not congratulate his opponent on his success in having secured a seat in Parliament
Mr Valentine- He'll never sit there.
Mr Buck— You're not the man to keep him out.
Mr Valentine- l want to ask Mr Mason some questions. (Cries of it is too late)
Notwithstanding the expressed disinclination of the meeting to hear him, Mr Valentine asked Mr Mason a series of questions, most of which that gentleman had already answered, both in his letter and in his previous remarks.
On Mr Valentine producing a copy of the Post, an elector exclaimed- Anyone can read a paper. A baby can do that (laughter) I've got a wife at home and can do more than that (renewed laughter). Let's have good speaking On Mr Valentine persisting in his questioning, an elector called out - Why don't you take your licking like a man?
Mr George Buck here came forward to speak, but Mr Valentine said he had not yet finished. On Mr Buck going away, Mr Prouse came to the fore and said -Retrickery. I heard from Mr Jackson that scandalous reports had been circulated about him. All I can say is I never heard any. -Mr Jackson: Shall I mention names? (Cries of Vs) Mr Jackson: Then I will mention Mr Samuel Mason. The gentleman referred to came forward and- walked up to Mr Jackson as if he meant mischief; but he continued himself to uttering a denial, with his face about six inches from Mr Jackson, who apparently wished him further off. He rejoined: You will hear more of it.
Mr George Buck, getting an opportunity, made a very humorous speech. He said he had heard another doctor was wanted in the district, and he could quite believe it; for so many people had been sick since the election that it would take more than pills to make them well again. (Laughter) He was sorry for Mr Jackson, who was a capital surveyor, but was not up to much as a politician. He considered that gentleman had betrayed a certain amount of weakness in his short parliamentary career, and he had himself told him he would never be returned again. The Hutt electors were too independent to be gulled a second time, and he repeated that if the election took place again tomorrow Mr Jackson would never get in; and the speaker added, with emphasis- Not so long as George Buck is here. (Applause and laughter) Mr Jackson smiled sardonically at Mr Buck, whereupon that gentleman exclaimed in great wrath- You've no pluck; your jib hangs and quivers; you've not the pluck of a gentleman.
These personalities were brought to a conclusion by Mr Mason proposing a vote of thanks .to the returning Officer. This being duly seconded and carried, the proceedings terminated.

The Evening Post 28th January 1881 shows
All Persons indebted to the Estate of the late Mr. Robert Kemble are requested to pay the amount of their several accounts to Messrs. Brandon & Son, Solicitors, on or before Monday, the 8th Feb., and all persons having claims against the Estate are requested to send in the same for liquidation on or before the aforesaid date.
George Buck,
Thomas McKenzie,
A. De B. Brandon, Jun.,
Wellington, 26th January, 1881.

The Evening Post 22nd March 1882 shows
Friday, 31st March.
Freehold Country Land Taita.
Messrs. J. H. Bethune & Co. have been favoured with instructions from J. Valentine Smith, Esq., to sell by public auction, at their rooms, on Friday, the 31st day of March, at 2 o'clock —
That valuable section of land, situated at the Taita, being No 45 on the plan of the Upper Hutt District, containing 100 acres, more or less, having a frontage to a public road, and adjoining the property of George Buck, Esq.
Title— Crown Grant.

The Evening Post 13th May 1882 shows
Notice of Application for a Publican's License.
I, John Anderson Williams, of Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden at Lower Hutt, on the 5th day of June, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of a publican's license for a house situate at Taita, known as the Travellers' Rest Hotel, containing 14 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family, and owned by Mr. George Buck.
Dated the 13th day of May, 1882.
John Anderson Williams.

The Evening Post 11th May 1886 shows
Notice of Application for a Publican's License.
I, Frederick James France, of Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden (sic) at Lower Hutt on the 9th day of June, 1886, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of a Publican's License for the house situate at Taita, the property of George Buck, and known by the sign of the Travellers' Rest Hotel, containing 17 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family.
Dated this 30th day of April, 1886.
F. J. France

The Evening Post 7th May 1887 shows
Notice of Application for a Publican's License.
I, William George Emeny, of Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting, to be holden at Lower Hutt, on the 1st day of June, 1887, apply for a certificate authorizing the issue of (renewal of) a Publican's License for the house situate at Taita, the property of George Buck, and known by the sign of the Traveller's Rest Hotel, containing 19 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family.
Dated this 28th day of April, 1887.
William G. Emeny.

The Evening Post 29th August 1887 shows
The Coming Elections.
Mr. H. S. Fitzherbert addressed a large meeting of the Hutt electors at Mr. Hoar's Hall, Taita, on Saturday evening, and met with a good reception. Mr. Mahood occupied the chair. Mr. Fitzherbert spoke for three-quarters of an hour, and afterwards answered a number of questions to the evident satisfaction of the questioners. On the motion of Mr. George Buck, a hearty vote of thanks to the candidate was unanimously carried.
... continued

The Evening Post 8th May 1888 shows
Notice of Application for a Publican's License.
I, Henry John Tidswell, of the Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden at the Lower Hutt, on the 1st day of June, 1888, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of renewal of a Publican's License for the house situate at Taita, the property of George Buck, and known by the sign the Traveller's Rest Hotel, containing 16 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family.
Dated this 7th day of May, 1888.
H. J. Tidswell.

The Evening Post 30th June 1888 shows
In the Matter of Joseph Fry, Deceased.
Notice is hereby given that all persons indebted to the Estate of the late Joseph Fry are required to pay the amount of their several accounts on or before Monday, the 16th July, 1888, and all persons having claims against the Estate are requested to forward the same to Mr. George Buck, Taita, for liquidation.
Dated at Wellington, this 25th day of Jane, 1888.
George Buck
Thomas McKenzie
Executors of the late Joseph Fry.

The Evening Post 8th May 1889 shows
Notice of Application for a Publican's License.
I, William Rapley, of the Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden at the Lower Hutt, on the 7th day of June, 1889, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of a Publican's License for a house situate at the Taita, called the Traveller's Rest Hotel, containing 12 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family, the property of George Buck.
Dated the 6th day of May, 1889.
William Rapley.

The Evening Post 8th May 1890 shows
Notice of Application for a Publican's License.
I, William Henry Staples, of Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden (sic) at Lower Hutt, on the 3rd day of June, 1890, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of renewal of a Publican's License for the house situate at Taita, the property of George Buck, and known by the sign of the Travellers Rest Hotel, containing 19 room, exclusive of those required for the use of the family.
Dated this 24th day of April, 1890.
W. H. Staples.

The Evening Post 15th May 1893 shows
Notice of Application for a Publican's License.
I, Mary Guilford, of Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting, to be holden (sic) at Lower Hutt on the 9th day of June, 1893, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of a renewal of a publican's license for the house situate at Taita, the property of George Buck, and known by the sign of The Travellers' Rest Hotel, containing 20 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family.
Dated this 13th day of May, 1893.
Mary Guilford.

The Fair Play 2nd July 1894 shows
Burgess Roll for the Borough of Wellington for the Year 1843
Buck George

The Evening Post 8th February 1915 shows
Old-Time Hotels
Some names that no longer exist.
There was no scarcity of hotels in Wellington fifty years ago. The following list has been compiled from old records, and where possible the locality is given, as well as the name of the proprietor :
Cricketers' Arms, Tory-street, William Edwards.
Te Aro, corner of Diron and Willis streets, Mrs. Kennedy.
Coach and Horses, Manners-street, George Death.
Osgood's Empire, Willis-street.
New Zealander, Manners-street, P. A. Chevannes.
Thistle Inn, corner of Mulgrave and Sydney streets, Stephen Cooper.
Eagle Tavern, Lambton-quay, Morgan O'Meara.
Foresters' Arms, Ghuznee-street, John Valentine.
Nelson, Lambton-quay, Josiah Minifie.
Freemasons' Tavern, Lambton-quay, Caleb Cull.
Karori, Tinakori-road, G. Dixon.
Albion, Courtenay-place, Mrs. West.
Ship (formerly Royal Olympic Theatre), Te Aro, R. Barry.
Commercial, Willis-street, William Miller.
Nag's Head, Cuba-street, Joseph Lowery.
Crown and Anchor, Lambton-quay (opposite the Queen's Wharf), C. Merritt.
South Sea, Lambton-quay. J. McIntosh.
White Swan, Cuba-street, Charles Monaghan.
Pier (opposite the Queen's Wharf), Martin and Downes.
White Horse, Lambton-quay (next door to the Town Board office), Hannah, Prosser, and Pearce.
Gawith's Family, Molesworth-street, Thorndon Flat, Alfred Wise.
Queen's, Lambton-quay, John Minifie,
Provincial, Molesworth-street, D. Rivers.
Criterion Tap, Lambton-quay, W. H. Griffen.
Barrett's, Lambton-quay, Isaac Plimmer.
Victoria, Abel Smith-street, R. Somerville.
Royal Tiger, Taranaki-street, W. Mitchell.
Royal, Thorndon-quay, C. Hatfield.
Queen's Head Inn, Molesworth-street, T. Clapham.
The above list, which may be regarded as approximately complete, contains 29 names. To-day there are 47 licensed houses in Wellington City Licensing District. Outside the City.
Old residents will read with interest the names of some of the old district hotels, some of which have long since ceased to exist.
Pioneer. Three-Mile Bush, Carterton, Robert Kemble.
Tauherenikau. — . Rowe.
Ferry Inn, Wairarapa Lake, Joseph Dodds.
Rising Sun, Greytown, — . Fuller.
British Volunteer, Greytown, F. King.
Greytown, John McKinnon.
Greytown Arms, — . Hawke.
Handley Arms, Lower District, Rangitikei, P. Bevan.
Manawatu Ferry, mouth of the Manawatu River, Trask and Barnett.
Rangitikei, Middle District, James Bull
Adelaide, Manawatu township, Cole and Brown.
Otaki Ferry Inn, Benjamin Gray.
The Ferry, Waikanae River, Thomas Wilson.
Paekakariki, Henry Elkin.
Nearer Wellington were the following: —
Waterloo, Kaiwarra, P. S. McKenzie.
Rainbow, Kaiwarra, Mrs. Calder.
Wallace Inn, Ngahauranga, W. E. Wallace.
Ngahauranga Inn, . Clapham.
Aglionby Arms, Lower Hutt, close to the bridge, Mary Corbett.
Whitewood's, Hutt, A. J. Whyte.
Albion, Hutt, R. Buckridge.
Travellers' Rest Inn, Taita, Hutt, George Buck.
Highland Home, Upper Hutt, John Wilkins.
Horokiwi, J. and T. Blackey.
London's, Pauatahanui, James London.
Bolton's, Pauatahanui, E. Bolton.
Ferry Inn, Porirua road, T. Bould.
Ames's, Porirua, W. Smith.
Rifle Volunteer, Johnsonville, John Wheeler.
Edwards's Half-way House, Porirua road.

Transcription of Death Certificate shows Place of Registration: Wellington, No: 375, When and Where Died: 11/10/1894, Taita, George Green Buck, Occ: Settler, Aged: 77, Cause of Death: Malignant Stricture of oesophagus, 5 months, Medical Attendant: Dr Purdy, Last seen alive: 11/10/1894, Father: Robert Buck, Occ: Brass founder, Mother: Mary Seldon Buck, Maiden Surname: Salmon, When Buried: 14/10/1894, Where Buried: Taita, Minister: Rev C. H. R. Hanson, Denomination: Church of England, Where Born: England, How Long in NZ: 53 years, Where Married: England, Age Married: 21, To Whom Married: Mary Seldon Salmon, Age of Widow: None Listed, Ages and Sex of Issues: 3 Males: 48, 42 and 30 years, 2 Females: 50 and 39, Informant: William S. Pike, son, Petone

Probate Record shows George Green Buck, Place: Taita, Occ: Settler, Date of Death: 11/10/1894, Court: Wellington, Archives Reference: AAOM 6029 4465, Probate No: 4465, Date Filed: 23/10/1894, Type: Will, Archives NZ, Wellington

The Evening Post 12th October 1894 shows
Funeral Notice
The Friends of the late George Green Buck are respectfully invited to attend his Funeral, which will leave his late residence, Taita, for the Taita Cemetery, on Sunday, the 14th, at 1 p.m. Collett Bros. Undertakers
Mr. George Green Buck, a very old resident, at the Taita, died at his residence at 9 o'clock last night, after an illness of five months, at the age of 76 years. Mr. Buck arrived at Wellington in 1842 in the ship the Birman, and after residing some time in Wellington, settled at Taita, where he ultimately purchased the hotel, which he kept until 1869, at which time he retired, and has since been living on his means. Mr. Buck was looked up to at the Hutt as being practically the father of the settlement. To the assistance received from him in the early day many people owe the prosperous position they now occupy, and his death will be very widely mourned. Deceased had seven sons and daughters, five of whom survive him. He leaves a widow (his second wife). Mr. Buck was a member of the first party of settlers who penetrated to the Wairarapa and was one of a section of the party who were lost for 15 days in the Rimutaka forest, from which they emerged at the Wairarapa Lake, and were succoured and by the Maoris brought round in canoes. Deceased is to be buried at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

The Evening Post 15th October 1894 shows
The funeral of the late Mr. George Green Buck took place at the Taita yesterday afternoon, and the remains were followed to their last resting place in the village churchyard by a very large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends from all parts of the district. The pall bearers were Messrs. W. S., E., and A. S. Pike (grandsons of the deceased) and Mr. W. Noler, who had been in Mr. Buck's employ for about a quarter of a century. The chief mourners were Messrs. W., A., and D. Buck (the three sons), W. H. Dale and G. Pike (son in laws), C. Pike (grandson), T. W. McKenzie, F Cohen, J. Buck, E. Buck and Townsend (relatives), Dr. Purdy, and Messrs. Brandon, C. Kemble, A. R. Hislop, R. Kemble, and George Ross (immediate friends), and amongst the visitors from town we noticed the Mayor of Wellington, Dr. Newman, M.H.R, Rev. H. Van Staveren, Messrs. J. M. Richardson, J. G. Wilson, M.H.R, C. T. Richardson, J. Plimmer, S. Waters, and R. Mowatt. There were a number of Maoris (by whom the deceased was held in high esteem) and a gathering of old identities, amongst whom were Messrs. Russell, J. Welch, H. Pitt, Mellow, Death, Peck, Futter, Avery, Mabey, J. Brown, Benge, Stewart, D. Ross, Daysh, Meagher, Fox, Cudby, King, Wilkins, Heyward, T. Allen, and W. Dew. The Rev. Mr. Harrison conducted the burial service. The scene was a most impressive one as the cortege wound its way beneath the trees along the country road, which was flanked by the settlers from all parts, the bell from the village church meanwhile sending forth its minute tolls. Mr. Buck was laid to rest beside his former partner, Mr. Kemble, with whom he had borne the heat and burden of the troublous times of the first settlement of the Hutt Valley. Thus ends the history of one of our sturdiest and most generous pioneers - of whom, alas, not a great many now remain to tell of the trails incidental to the settlement of the district

The New Zealand Mail 19th October 1894 shows
George Green Buck
Another old pioneer of New Zealand settlement has passed away in the person of Mr George Green Buck, of the Taita, who died on October 12th at the age of 76 years. Mr Buck arrived in Wellington in the ship Burnham (sic) in 1842. He carried on business in Molesworth street for a considerable time, and afterwards removed to the Taita, Hutt. Previous to that he formed one of a party to explore the Wairarapa. Messrs Clifford and Weld were looking out for a run and Mr Vavasour, one of the firm, accompanied the exploring party. They were lost in the high fern and bush at Tauherenikau for 15 days, and having run out of provisions were nearly starved. Fortunately they found a pah on the margin of the lake, and the Maoris gave them food, and ultimately brought them into Wellington in a canoe by way of Palliser Bay. Mr Buck afterwards purchased the Travellers Rest Hotel at the Taita, and conducted the business for a number of years. In 1858 he paid a visit to England, accompanied by his wife and family. On his return to the Colony he again up his residence at the Taita, and has been living there privately ever since. He was a most liberal minded man and always ready to assist those requiring help. He had been ailing for about five months. He leaves a wife, five children and 18 grandchildren to mourn their loss. He will also be deeply regretted by a very large circle of friends, to whom he had endeared himself by his many acts of kindness

Cemetery Fiche for Christ Church Cemetery, Taita, Lower Hutt shows Record No: 141
Mary Ann Seldon Buck wife of George Green Buck died 4 July 1867 aged 49 years also George Green Buck died 11 October 1894 aged 76 years